Day 1

As the first day of senior project began, I started with organizing myself in preparation for the next three weeks. I was able to dig out the two chairs from the spot they were hibernating in for the Winter, and relocate them to where I will be working on them for the next Month. With each chair weighing about 150lbs in their current state, I needed a little help to move them.










After the chairs had been relocated, the first thing to do was to deconstruct them. I removed all of the old rotted slats, and diligently pried out the rubber spacers that hold the wood slats apart. Next I had to remove all of the old hardware such as screws and bolts to allow for the next step.



My next step, and possibly the most important, was to start the process of removing the four previous layers of paint to allow for a new coat. Although a daunting and labor intensive task, this took me back to the "glory days" of these chairs. With there being four layers of paint (2 Red and 2 Green) it was like these chairs had been given a new life more than once, and it was nice to think that I would be giving them their next life.













             The picture on the left is before paint removal, and on the right is after paint removal.




If you look closely, the chair on the right shows the different layers of paint color. A light red and a darker red, as well as a light green and a darker green. 



As someone who's life has been partially shaped by skiing, this is a cool piece of New England ski history that tells a story, and I get to refurbish it.





At the end of Day 1, I had put in 2.5 hours of work before it had started to drizzle. 

Completed:
1. relocated chairs
2. dismantled chairs
3. removed flaking paint on the first chair

Tomorrows tasks (weather permitting):
1. remove flaking paint on the second chair
2. start the process of polishing the chairs before primer and paint.




Comments

  1. Looks good Eric. Are you using proper lead paint abatement precautions? You might want to, at least, put down plastic or a drop cloth on the ground... And I hope you are wearing a dust mask. Also, On a rainy day like today you could work on figuring out the design and materials you will need to make the stands. Perhaps you have done this already? If not Cohen Steel in Concord is a good start.

    https://www.epa.gov/lead/learn-about-lead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gordon. Yes, where I did the paint removal I did have the ground covered, and I did have a filtered air mask on. Thank you for checking in on my blog, and I will be in touch with you soon.

      Delete
  2. Way to go Eric! Seems like a successful first day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric way to go looks like you had an eventful day! What are your thought on the work that you have a head of you? Anticipating any difficulties? Nervous for anything?
    Great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Craig. For the next week my time will be put into getting the chairs removed of all previous paint in order for the final coat to go on smooth and even. I have to be diligent with doing this, because any imperfections now, will affect the new paint in the future. The only difficulties I am anticipating are due to the weather. I will need to use rainy days for small tasks, as well as going to pick up wood, paint, and stain products.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts